Let’s admit it, we all give our furry friends table scraps now and again but there are some foods that can make them very sick. Many people are aware of foods, like chocolate, as being toxic to pets, but here are some that you may not know. At the end are resources available to use if you suspect your pet has ingested one of these foods or other toxic substance.
1. Onions– onions contain something called thiosulfates which cause the body to destroy its own red blood cells.Signs of onion toxicity include vomiting, diarrhea, heavy breathing and lethargy and may show up 2-3 days after ingestion of onions.
2. Anything containing xylitol(eg, sugar-free gum, candies, toothpaste)– as little as 1 piece of sugar-free chewing gum can cause very low blood sugar, seizures and severe liver failure. These symptoms can develop within 15-30 minutes of ingestion. Make sure to keep these products out of your pet’s reach!
3.Grapes, raisins, currants– ingestion of just 1 grape or raisin can cause kidney failure in dogs within 24 hours after eating them. The reason for this toxicity is still unknown and does not affect all dogs. To be safe, avoid feeding grapes raisins and currants to your pet.
4. Macadamia nuts– These nuts cause weakness, vomiting, tremors and pale gums. The signs generally appear within 12 hours of ingestion. The specific cause of this toxicity is still unknown.
5. Raw bread dough with yeast– The yeast can causes gas and alcohol production in the stomach and leads to severe bloat and alcohol poisoning. Signs include distended stomach, elevated heart rate, collapse, seizures and even death.
6. Raw potatoes– These are toxic to dogs and cats and can cause severe stomach upset within hours of ingestion.
7. Apple seeds– Apple seed contain cyanide. Although it would take many seeds to cause cyanide poisoning in your pets, it’s best not to let them eat apple cores.
If your pets does get into any of these foods, you should call your veterinarian immediately to be advised on the best course of action. You may also call the following helplines which are available 24/7.
Pet Poison Helpline: (855) 764-7661
ASPCA Animal Poison Control: (888) 426-4435